Match Preview: Watford 0-1 Tottenham Predictions and Betting Tips 01.01.2022
Watford – Tottenham Predictions & Tips For Today, January 1, 2022.
League: ENGLAND: Premier League – Round 21
Match: 16:00 Watford – Tottenham
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:1 WON!!!
Watford – Tottenham Match Preview
- In hindsight, both Watford and Tottenham probably wish their previous Premier League (PL) outings were amongst the slew of recent postponements after some unfavourable results. The hosts remain on the precipice of the drop zone after a fifth consecutive PL defeat (1-4 at home to West Ham), which stands as their longest PL losing streak in a single season since six straight losses in 2016/17 which they recorded on their way to finishing in 17th.
- In a sign that their struggles may continue for an extended period, Watford have conceded 2+ goals in five consecutive PL outings with a near ‘full strength’ defence. However, having lost by a narrow 1-0 scoreline in this H2H earlier in the season, following two H2H draws in their relegation-bound 2019/20 season, perhaps the sight of lillywhite ‘spurs’ Watford on here.
- Tottenham must be keen subscribers to the “new year, new me” mantra, as they have won their first PL match of a new calendar year in four of their last five seasons. That said, they’re already deep into a positive transformation under the legendary Antonio Conte, who is the first manager in the PL era to have won or drawn their opening seven PL fixtures in charge of Spurs (W4, D3).
- With three PL away fixtures having been postponed, their travelling form from hereon could decide which UEFA competition (if any) Tottenham will be participating in next season. Away draws at Southampton (1-1) and Everton (0-0) could be costly, but Spurs can draw inspiration from a 4-1 New Year’s Day triumph at Watford on the way to second place in 2016/17.
- Players to watch: Spurs’ midfielder Dele Alli has scored in five of his last nine competitive meetings with Watford, including a double in that aforementioned 4-1 win. Emmanuel Dennis has now returned the most goals in a league season (eight) during his professional career, scoring or assisting nine of Watford’s last 12 PL goals.
- Hot stat: There have been no draws, and an average of 3.56 total goals per game, in the nine previous managerial clashes between Watford boss Claudio Ranieri and Tottenham’s Conte (two wins to Ranieri, seven to Conte).