Match Preview: Chelsea 2-0 Lille Predictions and Betting Tips 22.02.2022
Chelsea – Lille Predictions & Tips For Today, February 22, 2022.
League: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – PLAY OFFS
Match: 21:00 Chelsea – Lille
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:0 WON!!!
Chelsea – Lille Match Preview
- Chelsea beat Crystal Palace 1-0 on Saturday to go six games unbeaten (W5, D1) despite what manager Thomas Tuchel called a ‘lacklustre’ performance immediately following their FIFA Club World Cup (CWC) success. Continuing their UEFA Champions League (UCL) defence against Lille, they’ll look to secure a hat-trick of H2H wins after twice beating the French side 2-1 in 2019.
- For ‘Blues’ fans, this is their first opportunity to cheer on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge as CWC champions, and as they’ve only ever lost one home European game against French opponents (W6, D3) they’ll be optimistic their side can set the tie up here. More cause for hope comes from the fact that Chelsea have won each of their last five UCL matches here ‘to nil’!
- That highlights the scale of the challenge awaiting Lille, who’ve been unable to follow up last season’s unexpected French title triumph as they now languish in eleventh place in Ligue 1 with one win across their last four matches (D1, L2). With just two all-time UCL/Europa League victories against English clubs from 12 attempts (D3, L7), and none since 2010, the omens are not promising as they head for London.
- If there’s to be a saving grace for their disappointing season, three straight UCL group stage wins to reach this stage – including crucial away wins against Sevilla and Wolfsburg – could give them something to cling on to. However, they’ve never won three consecutive UCL away fixtures and haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of their last seven UCL away fixtures (W2, L5).
- Players to watch: Timo Werner scored three goals across Chelsea’s last two UCL group games, twice after the 80th minute. Meanwhile Lille’s Jonathan David netted the second goal of the game in each of Lille’s last two UCL away fixtures.
- Hot stat: Each of Lille’s last three European matches against English clubs (two vs Chelsea) produced exactly two first-half goals.