Match Preview: FC Porto 0-1 Lyon Predictions and Betting Tips 09.03.2022
FC Porto – Lyon Predictions & Tips For Today, Match 9, 2022.
League: Europa League – Play Offs – 1/8-finals
Match: 18:45 FC Porto – Lyon
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:1 WON!!!
FC Porto – Lyon Match Preview
- The UEFA Europa League (UEL) round of 16 is upon us and the league-leaders of Portugal’s Primeira Liga, Porto, have emerged as serious dark horses after dispatching Italian outfit Lazio 4-3 on aggregate last round. Porto clearly took getting knocked out of the UEFA Champions League (UCL) on the final matchday personally, putting together an 18-match unbeaten run since (W15, D3), scoring at least two goals in 14 of those games.
- Porto’s record in the first leg of UEL knockout matches is impressive, winning seven of their 11 such fixtures (D1, L3), and with only three of those games being decided by 2+ goal margin, we could be in for an exciting tie overall. The ‘Dragons’ will hope that facing Lyon will be a lucky charm, as the last competitive H2H meeting was in the 2003/04 UCL quarter-finals, the historic season they became European champions.
- Lyon enter the UEL knockouts having finished top of UEL Group A by going undefeated and securing the best record in the group stages (W5, D1), while scoring the most goals (16) in the process. Since then though, Peter Bosz’s men have averaged less than a goal a game until knocking four past Lorient last time out, possibly rediscovering their scoring boots at just the right time.
- ‘Les Gones’ can also draw confidence from their first-leg record when participating in European competition of late, only losing three of their last 14 (W8, D3). But with two losses occurring on the road, Lyon will have to be on top form to secure their third win on Portuguese soil (D1, L7).
- Players to watch: Porto’s in-form Mehdi Taremi has scored nine of his last ten club goals after half-time, while Lyon’s Karl Toko Ekambi has netted his side’s opener in three of the six UEL matches he’s played this season.
- Hot stat: Lyon have seen the same half-time/full-time result in nine of their last 11 fixtures.