Match Preview: Benfica 1-3 Liverpool Predictions and Betting Tips 05.04.2022
Benfica – Liverpool Predictions & Tips For Today, April 5, 2022.
League: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – PLAY OFFS – QUARTER-FINALS
Match: 20:00 Benfica – Liverpool
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:3 WON!!!
Benfica – Liverpool Preview
- A first quarter-final appearance in the UEFA Champions League (UCL) since 2015/16 awaits Benfica, who dramatically overcame Ajax 3-2 on aggregate in the Round of 16. Progression is usually met with a severe humbling for the Portuguese outfit in the UCL last eight though, as the Lisbon giants have never progressed past this stage under the UCL branding, actually failing to win any of their eight quarter-final matches (D3, L5).
- A 3-2 domestic loss to Braga at the weekend ended Benfica’s impressive nine-game unbeaten run (W6, D3) and means they’re now a distant third in the Primeira Liga. Achieving a clean sheet has been an issue recently with only two recorded across their last ten games although ironically, the ‘Eagles’ last UCL home clean sheet against English opposition was in a 1-0 win over opponents Liverpool in 2005/06. Despite that, they’ve failed to win all four of their UCL home games vs English opponents since, going down by a 1-0 scoreline on three occasions (D1).
- Liverpool find themselves in the UCL quarter-finals for the third time in the last four seasons, despite recording their only loss this calendar year (W17, D2) in the second-leg of their Round of 16 clash to Inter Milan. Jürgen Klopp’s men have been firing on all cylinders in 2022 as they chase a possible quadruple, scoring 2+ goals on 14 occasions, and keeping 13 clean sheets across their 20 matches this year.
- Having already won 5-1 in Portugal this season when beating Primeira Liga leaders Porto in the group stages, the ‘Reds’ are looking to maintain their 100% away winning record in the UCL this season (W4). Although Liverpool boast a positive record when playing in Portugal (W5, D3, L4), an upset is not out of the question, with three of those losses coming in their last three trips to their hosts!
- Players to watch: Benfica’s Darwin Núñez has netted three of his four UCL goals this season past the 70th minute, while Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has found the net during the UCL quarter-finals away leg in three of the last four seasons.
- Hot stat: English sides have outscored their Portuguese opponents 26-3 in the last 11 UCL knockout H2H matches.