Match Preview: Freiburg 1-1 RB Leipzig Predictions and Betting Tips 21.05.2022
Freiburg – RB Leipzig Predictions & Tips For Today, May 21, 2022.
League: GERMANY: DFB POKAL – FINAL
Match: 19:00 Freiburg – RB Leipzig
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
Freiburg – RB Leipzig Match Preview
- Led by the longest serving coach across Europe’s top-five leagues, Christian Streich’s Freiburg will look to cap off their impressive season with success in what is the first ever major cup final in the club’s 118-year history! Having secured a Europa League group stage appearance for the first time since 2013/14 via a sixth-placed Bundesliga finish, Freiburg can reflect on a job well done no matter what happens here at the Berlin Olympiastadion.
- Back-to-back defeats to end the Bundesliga campaign ultimately ended Freiburg’s unlikely Champions League push but a bounce back in this game is not assured as Freiburg are winless in five straight matches against RB Leipzig (D3, L2). All three draws during that run ended 1-1, the same scoreline produced within 90 minutes in two of Freiburg’s five DFB Pokal rounds leading to the final, suggesting that this may well go all the way.
- With a top-four finish in the Bundesliga wrapped up, Leipzig coach Domenico Tedesco can turn his attention to the club’s third DFB Pokal final across the last four seasons in what is his first ever major cup final as a coach. Leipzig lost their previous two finals by a three-goal margin, though they were against this season’s top-two Bayern Munich and Dortmund, and having avoided those two this time around Tedesco may believe this is Leipzig’s time to pick up their first major trophy.
- Leipzig have had a relatively easy road to the final, cruising through their opening four rounds against lower-tier opposition, scoring 11 goals without reply! The first sign of trouble came in the semi-final stage as they had to win from behind in their first cup clash against fellow Bundesliga opponents (2-1 vs Union). That comeback win was unusual though as a slow start was often fatal during their league clashes this term, with Leipzig recovering just four points when trailing at half-time (W1, D1, L6).
- Players to watch: Freiburg’s Vincenzo Grifo could become the outright top-scorer in this season’s DFB Pokal with a brace. He has two match openers in this competition which have contributed to his four-goal haul. Leipzig owe this trophy chance to a 90+2’ strike from Emil Forsberg in the semi-final – his last two goals have now served to finish the scoring.
- Hot stat: Leipzig boss Tedesco is unbeaten in four of his five touchline meetings with Freiburg’s Streich (W2, D2, L1).