Match Preview: Middlesbrough 1-1 West Brom Predictions and Betting Tips 30.07.2022
Middlesbrough – West Brom Predictions & Tips For Today, July 30, 2022.
League: ENGLAND: CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 1
Match: 17:30 Middlesbrough – West Brom
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
Middlesbrough – West Brom Match Preview
- There’s been plenty of time to reflect for Chris Wilder and his Middlesbrough side after missing out on the play-offs by just one place last term. With a new-look squad and a full pre-season under the esteemed manager, promotion hopes are high on Teesside ahead of the coming campaign. Things kick off with a first opening day clash against West Bromwich Albion in 101 years, after a goalless draw back in 1921, as Boro look to start the season on a winning note for the first time in eight seasons (D5, L2 prior)!
- As for the squad changes, Middlesbrough’s outgoings appear to be largely positive with a £12.5m fee for Djed Spence, who spent last season out on loan, greatly boosting the transfer coffers. The often criticised Joe Lumley has been replaced in goal by highly-rated American international Zack Steffen, while the long-rumbling saga of whether Wilder could attract a striker seems to have drawn to a close with Finnish finisher Marcus Forss joining the cause.
- The pressure is on for Steve Bruce and his West Brom side after they flopped to a tenth-placed finish despite being in the play-off spots when he was appointed (W6, D4, L7). The atmosphere around the club could become toxic quickly should they fail to make a bright start, but that is something that Bruce knows all about after winning five of his last six second-tier season openers (D1).
- With a strong squad to begin with, the Baggies have added the contributor of 24 Championship goals for Reading last season, John Swift (G13, A11), and influential wideman Jed Wallace from Millwall (2021/22: G6, A12), signings which undoubtedly contribute to West Brom’s status as one of the pre-season favourites for promotion.
- Players to watch: Marauding Middlesbrough full-backs Ryan Giles and Isaiah Jones will be tasked with providing the assists after notching 18 between them last term. As for West Brom, new signing Wallace recently commented that he thought Boro would be the toughest league game of the season, maybe due to his poor personal record against them (W2, D4, L4).
- Hot stat: Middlesbrough have failed to win their season-opening league game in 19 of the last 21 seasons (D10, L9).