Match Preview: Maccabi Haifa 4-0 Apollon Predictions and Betting Tips 03.08.2022
Maccabi Haifa – Apollon Predictions & Tips For Today, August 3, 2022.
League: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – QUALIFICATION – SEMI-FINALS
Match: 18:00 Maccabi Haifa – Apollon
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 4:0 WON!!!
Maccabi Haifa – Apollon Match Preview
- Maccabi Haifa scored arguably the crowning upset of the previous UEFA Champions League (UCL) qualification round, destroying one-time quarter finalists Olympiakos 4-0 in Athens to proceed 5-1 on aggregate. In turn, the Israeli champions are now just two steps away from a first UCL group stage appearance since 2009.
- Barak Bakhar’s men clearly know where the goal is, and that could easily translate into a blockbuster scoreline. There are historical reasons to expect a high-octane clash too, as six of Maccabi Haifa’s last seven two-legged European qualification or pre-group stage playoff round ties have produced 6+ total aggregate goals.
- Cypriot kings Apollon Limassol make a relatively short journey across the Mediterranean to face their first UCL qualification assignment since 2006. They fell to Cork City at the opening hurdle 16 years ago, but their historical frustrations extend further still, as 1991/92 still marks their latest appearance in the competition proper (European Cup – W1, L3).
- To avoid a repeat of 2006, and take a respectable scoreline into their home leg, Apollon must first conjure the sort of defensive resolve that saw them concede less than a goal per league game during the regular season phase of 2021/22’s Cypriot First Division. Yet, they’ve been leaky of late, with no clean sheet in seven competitive games.
- Players to watch: Frantzdy Pierrot netted a quickfire double via headers in Maccabi’s win over Olympiakos, while Apollon’s best hopes may lie with the club’s top league scorer of 2021/22, Ioannis Pittas – son of Charalampos Pittas, who was in Apollon’s European Cup side of 1991/92! He has seen three of his last five goals act as openers inside 20 minutes.
- Hot stat: Five of Maccabi Haifa’s last six UCL qualification games won or lost have seen the eventual winner score within the first ten minutes.