Match Preview: Benfica – Maccabi Haifa Predictions and Betting Tips 06.09.2022
Match Preview: Benfica – Maccabi Haifa Predictions
Benfica – Maccabi Haifa Predictions & Tips For Today. 1xBet Tips for September 6, 2022.
League: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – GROUP STAGE – ROUND 1
Match: 20:00 Benfica – Maccabi Haifa
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:0 LOST
Benfica – Maccabi Haifa Predictions and Match Preview
- Two-time European champions Benfica will look to sustain a perfect European and domestic start to the season when they commence their 2021/22 UEFA Champions League (UCL) campaign on Tuesday. The current Liga Portugal leaders were victorious in all four of their UCL qualifiers, scoring 12 goals in the process, whilst their domestic form makes them the only side in Portugal’s top-flight to win their opening five league games – the third successive year they’ve notched up 15 points from five gameweeks.
- An underwhelming third placed league finish last season, however, has its consequences – with Roger Schmidt’s men in Pot 3 for last week’s UCL draw and finding themselves in an imposing group with Juventus and PSG. The Eagles will therefore appreciate the importance of a winning start at home to Maccabi Haifa on Tuesday if they are to at least match their quarter-final defeat against Liverpool last season – their best finish since the 2016 campaign.
- Israeli champions Maccabi Haifa are making their first UCL appearance since losing all six of their group stage fixtures in 2009 – a group which incidentally also included Juventus. Barak Bakhar’s side had to dig deep against Serbian champions Red Star Belgrade in their final qualifying match to get here, scoring a 90th minute winner in Belgrade to secure a thrilling 5-4 aggregate victory.
- The Greens likewise have a 100% domestic record coming into this fixture, with a 92nd minute winner against Hapoel Be’er Sheva on Saturday making it three wins from three in the league. Bakhar will need every ounce of momentum gained from his side’s late victory if they are to secure a positive result here against a heavily-fancied Benfica, especially considering Haifa haven’t won a UCL fixture since the 2002 group stage!
- Players to watch: Midfielder João Mário has already surpassed his goal tally for last season, scoring three penalties in Benfica’s last three league matches. Meanwhile, four of striker Frantzdy Pierrot’s five UCL qualifying goals for Haifa came in the second half.
- Hot stat: All of Haifa’s seven goals conceded in their UCL qualifying fixtures came in the first half, whilst nine of Benfica’s 12 goals scored occurred in the opening 45 minutes.