Match Preview: Fiorentina – Basel Predictions and Betting Tips 11.05.2023
Match Preview: Fiorentina – Basel Predictions
Fiorentina – Basel Predictions & Tips For Today. William Hill Predictions for May 11, 2023.
League: EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE – PLAY OFFS – SEMI-FINALS
Match: 20:00 Fiorentina – Basel
Tip: Home Win
Bookmaker: William Hill
Match Result: 1:2 LOST
Fiorentina – Basel Predictions and Preview
- In the final four of a European competition for the first time since 2015, when they missed out on a continental final for the second time this century, UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL) semi-finalists Fiorentina will be hoping that third time’s the charm. However, they survived a major onslaught in the quarter-final second leg, going down 3-2 at home to Lech Poznań for a 6-4 aggregate win that had the Stadio Artemio Franchi on edge.
- Older Fiorentina fans have to cast their mind back to 1990 for the club’s latest European final, and a major defensive improvement on home soil would be well-advised if that’s to change. In fact, La Viola have registered just one UECL home shutout in seven attempts, taking the gloss off a great home record in this competition prior to the Lech game (W5, D1).
- However, Basel will not be taken lightly, especially after beating a much-fancied Nice side in extra-time after a late equaliser on the French Riviera. The Rotblau’s subsequent reward is an opportunity to right the wrongs of 2013’s UEFA Europa League semi-finals, when eventual winners Chelsea thrashed them 5-2 on aggregate.
- While most Basel fans will want to see their team go for the jugular again, taking a level aggregate scoreline into the second leg at St Jakob-Park certainly wouldn’t be a bad result. And they’ve become draw specialists in the UECL recently, with each of their previous four continental clashes ending with the sides on equal terms at the end of the 90 minutes.
- Key battle: Currently on six goals in the UECL proper, Fiorentina’s Luka Jović is a prime candidate to claim the competition’s second-ever golden boot. Two of the last three in that impressive haul were match-winning headers, which should translate to some impressive aerial duels with Basel’s Kasim Nuhu. Memorably, the RotBlau defender completed his side’s fightback against Nice, making three of his last four goals deciders that arrived after the hour mark.
- Hot streak: Fiorentina’s last three UECL home wins have seen their deciding goal arrive beyond the hour mark.